The Physical Education department are passionate about developing in every student a lifelong enjoyment and positive attitude towards physical activity. We aim to create a happy environment for pupils to grow in body, mind and spirit within a variety of physical activities and roles.
Sport plays a vital role in the physical, emotional, social and cultural wellbeing of every student. By engaging students to be the best they can be, we can help them to develop the resilience, determination and courage to show the world their uniqueness.
Using the school’s key Christian values in sporting context, we aim to provide students with excellent morals and an appreciation of discipline through rules to enable them to live life in all its fullness in school and the wider community.
We offer a diverse range of sporting experiences at curricular and extra-curricular level to help pupils recognise, appreciate and evaluate their own, and others, talents in different sporting contexts, whilst remembering humility in victory and grace in defeat.
We try to offer a broad curriculum to all pupils across both key stages including:
Key Stage 3
Invasion games: Netball, Hockey, Rugby, Football, Handball
Striking and fielding games: Flat bat rounders and Cricket
Net games: Badminton, Volleyball, Tennis
Fitness: Health related fitness, Fitness Testing, Aerobics
Artistic Activities: Dance, Gymnastics
Athletic activities: Athletics, Cross Country Running
Key Stage 4 (Core PE)
Invasion games: Netball, Rugby, Football, Squash
Striking and fielding games: Rounders, Cricket, Softball and Danish longball
Net games: Badminton, Volleyball, Tennis
Fitness: Aerobics, fitness classes, use of the All Season’s leisure center gym suite.
Artistic activities: Dance, Gymnastics
Athletic activities: Athletics
Swimming activities: Swimming
Our extra-curricular programme at St Michael’s gives pupils the opportunity to stretch their sporting skills further and also to experience the exhilarating feeling of participating in school teams and competitions.
We expect high standards of behaviour, effort, attendance and commitment at our school team practices.
We currently offer extra-curricular clubs in netball, boys and girls football, rugby, rounders, cricket, athletics, badminton, gymnastics, hockey, handball, indoor athletics, climbing, cross country and basketball.
Our facilities are excellent consisting of a full sports hall (consisting of 4 badminton courts, 1 full netball court, a volley ball court, basketball court and indoor football),a climbing wall, a fully equipped gym, 4 outdoor tennis courts, 3 outdoor netball courts and a field marked in summer for athletics and cricket, and winter for football and rugby.
Our most recent successes have been:
• Winners of the Yr 7 Netball Skills Tournaments
• Chorley and District Netball Champions in Yrs 7, 8, 9 and 11
• PGL Regional Netball competition – Yr 8 and 11 Champions.
• Chorley and District Badminton Champions U14 Girls and Boys and U16 Girls. U14 Girls Lancashire County Champions, North West Regional winners and 8th nationally.
• Lancashire U14 Red Rose Badminton Champions
• Chorley and District Dodgeball Champions: Yr 8 Girls Gold Medallists, Yr 8 Boys Silver medallists.
• Yr 7 girls Chorley and District and Wigan Tournament Tag Rugby Champions
• Chorley and District Gymnastics 3 Gold, 4 Silver, 3 Bronze
• Chorley and District Swimming Gala 6 Gold, 13 Silver, 6 Bronze
• Chorley and District Yr 7 and 8 girls Handball Bronze Medallists, Yr 9 and 10 girls Handball Chorley and District Silver Medallists.
• Cross country District Champions in Yr 7 and 8, 9 and 10 girls and Yr 9 and 10 boys.
• Lancashire Cross Country Champions girls Yr 7 and 8, 9 and 10 and boys 9 and 10.
• Yr 7 and 8 girls North West Cross Country Winners and 10th placed nationally.
• Chorley and District Indoor Cricket Champions girls U13 and girls U15.
• Chorley and District climbing Champions U13 boys
• Chorley and Leyland girls Yr 7 and 8 Football silver medallists
• Chorley and Leyland girls Yr 9 and 10 Football Champions
• Chorley and District Athletics Champions for Yr 7, 8, 9 and 10.
• Overall Chorley and District Champions.
Physical Education Learning Schemes